Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dirty Clothes On The Floor

In the first few years of our marriage there were a few little things that bugged me. Everyday annoyances that were not worth fighting over, or even mentioning most days. But they were there; dirty clothes on the floor, a sink full of freshly shaven whiskers or the infamous toilet seat that was left up, again. While they weren't a huge deal, they were not appreciated. Then Josh deployed for six months and those little traces of him vanished. And while you may think that it was a nice break to have the house stay clean, it just meant that the house was empty. A constant reminder that he was gone. The first time I saw his crumpled, dirty clothes on the floor after he returned, I couldn't help but smile. He was home. To this day, I still smile when I see clothes on the floor, whiskers in the sink or a toilet seat that was left up. It brings a warm, fuzzy feeling that only a small group of women can understand. As I begin to prepare myself for Josh's next deployment in April, I am cherishing all the little things that can be taken for granted or even found annoying... like dirty clothes on the floor.

3 comments:

sweet p. said...

Ah, when John deployed the first time I left (and still do every time he leaves) his flightsuit hanging from the hook, his combat boots in the same corner of our bedroom, I busted out an extra toothbrush cuz mine was getting lonely and his pillow (that he - lucky for me - forgot to take this time around) next to mine. It's the little things, right? So don't think you are crazy if you start leaving a few pieces of clothing around just for the heck of it!

TR2 said...

YES!! I agree! Sometimes, I get aggrevated but I quickly stop and realize that I am just glad he is here to to those things!! We're gonna miss your smiling face!!

katie said...

well put, megan. congrats on the move, the minivan and the OCEAN view that awaits!!