Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Thumb Sucker


As most of you know, Mason is a thumb sucker. He holds a special place in his heart for his left thumb, and a special place in his mouth. I have read, and been told by doctors, that this is not a problem. That it is perfectly normal and only 1% of babies who suck their thumbs will continue the habit into childhood. Also, babies who suck their thumb are more content, calm themselves quicker and sleep better. Great news for a worried mother, until a few days ago. I have never discouraged Mason from sucking his thumb for two reasons.

1: The doctor said it's no big deal.

2: I was told if I make a big deal now, it would only make him more determined.

I am now discouraging him, if only for a few days. A few days ago, I noticed his thumb was becoming chapped and flaky, so I put some extra lotion on it and assumed it was due to the combination of sucking and our frigidly dry air. Mason's solution was to suck the lotion right off. Over the next few days it became worse and worse until finally his poor, little, red thumb was cracking, swollen and missing chunks of skin. This, however, did not detour him from sucking it. I called the doctor, who graciously saw us that day. She gave him an oral prescription to help heal the skin and I slathered it in ointment and wrapped it in gauze and medical tape. Mason has not tried to suck his other thumb and loves the attention of caring strangers who sympathetically bend down and ask, "What happened to your thumb little guy?"

Although, he has tried to get the gauze off and even enlisted Bogey's help in the battle for his sweet addiction. He was sitting on the floor face to face with Bogey and repeatedly jamming his thumb in Bogey's mouth. I did not put a stop to this odd behavior because I was intrigued. What the heck was he doing? I know babies do weird stuff, but this was a new one, even for us. Then I realized what this was about. Bogey began to nip at the gauze and pull on it. When he would let go, Mason would shove his thumb right back into Bogey's mouth and urge him to continue. All the while, Mason was grinning mischievously and giggling like some sort of comic book villain. I have to say, I was impressed by his logic. The two kept this up for several minutes, Bogey chewing and pulling at the gauze, Mason giggling and holding the thumb steady in Bogey's mouth. I tried to keep quiet as I watched them, afraid if I made a sound it would interrupt their evil plan. Two masterminds working diligently for a common goal. Eventually they got bored and moved on to something else, but the gauze stayed on. A little torn and soggy, but it was on.

No comments: