Friday, January 18, 2008

The Strong Willed Child

Ah, where to begin... Let's start about 7 months ago when I had a sweet, mild mannered little 18 month old "baby". A neighbor of mine (Mindy) told me about how her daughter, who was a bit older than Mason, was a strong willed child. She said that it didn't matter what the punishment was or how strict, consistent... etc you where, they will not conform to what we believe is appropriate behavior. I was empathetic to her as she told me about a book she read called 'The Strong Willed Child' and about how she broke down crying while reading it because she finally felt like someone understood. While I had no experience with such a child, I had heard countless stories from my own mom about myself as a toddler. Perhaps that's where Mason gets it. Well Mindy, I now understand from first hand experience, for I too now posses a strong willed, stubborn, opinionated child. Anyone know where I can get that book?
And she was right (as was my mom). No one understands unless they have one themselves. I am considering starting a support group for other mothers like myself. I am so sad that Mindy no longer lives here to co-found the group. Now I find myself trying to explain to the other moms at play-group that I do discipline him and he is not a bad kid. He is a truly sweet little boy. And it's true that they do not understand. This was apparent yesterday when one of the girls told me that she just puts her son on the naughty chair for a couple minutes and that fixes everything. HA! I would love for her to have Mason for a day and see what happens to her naughty chair. Our time outs take place in his crib where he is confined. No joke, to get Mason to stay in a naughty chair, I would have to sit on top of him while he screamed bloody murder and gnawed my lower leg off. If you can relate to this and have a strong willed child, please pass along some words of encouragement or wisdom. If you do not, I don't want to hear about how your stupid naughty chair fixes everything!

2 comments:

sweet p. said...

I'm pretty sure Mindy found the book at the Library. She was telling me about it too. But there is hope, my friend. Here's what Mindy wrote me last week:

> Eliana is doing really well. I just can't get over HOW good she is being. I am really pleased at the change in her behavior and habits. I'm still getting the Eliana personality, but just a little toned down and I can handle that:)

and here's what Tanya has to say about 10mo. old Robby, got news for her!:

> He really is already being so independent about things that he can't be independent about just yet! I'm surprised he's not trying to change his own diapers!

John was telling me that sometimes he feels that Maia is just an tiny adult that rents a room in our house - you can imagine what kind of day he had with her to come up with that!

katie said...

hang in there, megan! i think its just a battle of wills and im confident yours is stronger. peach is not particularly strong willed, but she tries to negotiate EVERY mode of discipline to suit her better. i could not stop laughing yesterday when she really worked her hardest out of some discipline. and i think you may be having a girl!