Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Overwhelmed

Today is one of those days where I feel like I am working constantly, but nothing seems to get done. Honestly, I am just happy that Chase is happy right now. I am typing one handed and he is, well, blowing spit bubbles on my shoulder. No worries, I haven't made it to the shower yet today anyway. Chase had a huge melt down and despite my best efforts, he would not calm down. Finally, I put him in his bed and pretended he was wasn't screaming hysterically. After about 15 minutes of weighing his options, he decided he was happy to see me and would be content just to be held. A little perspective goes a long way. Poor Mason sat on floor, worried and on the verge of tears, during the whole scream-a-thon. He is such a sensitive little boy and hates to see anyone unhappy, especially his brother. And now, as I sit here typing quietly, they have both fallen asleep. Yes, a good fit wears us all out. And while I haven't had a minute to myself and the housework is still not done, the bright side is that it's now quiet and I have a precious few minutes with you. It amazes me that I can experience overwhelming frustration and overwhelming joy all in the span of an hour. I think overwhelmed is a great word to describe mothers. We are overwhelmed by the pile of laundry waiting to be washed, the errands that need to be done, the fits our children throw and the mess that is still waiting to be cleaned. We are overwhelmed by the sweetest hugs and cuddles imaginable, a tiny outreached hand that wants only
mommy, a smile that lights up their whole face just because we're there and an angelic face that says, "I wub you, Mommy." It's no wonder we can be so emotional.

No comments: