Monday, June 8, 2009

You Woman!

If anyone finds this post offensive, I apologize upfront. That said, it is common knowledge that people (men) use the word 'woman' as an insult. You know, the basic "you throw like a girl" deal. I have even heard my own husband say "you woman" when talking with his buds. gasp... I know. When I think about watching what I say in front of Mason, I think of the typical bad words, not talking negatively about anyone, and name calling. It is a constant effort and I have slipped several times. These slips have spurred a few discussions about not calling people names and "just cause Mommy yelled butt-head at the dog, doesn't mean you can say it". This is another classic example. Josh picked up some liquid medicine for Mason that was supposed to be diluted in juice. Mason took one big gulp and couldn't drink anymore. I cannot blame him either. After another trip to the store Josh came back with dissolvable strips. They were a much better choice and Mason happily ate the strip. I took Chase in the other room and the following is what I overheard.

Mason- I don't wanna drink that ever again Daddy! You woman!
Josh in shock- What did you say? Did you call me a woman?! Mommy is a woman.
Mason- Bad Daddy! Don't call Mommy that. I tell on you!

By the time Mason came to me, I was laughing so hard I could barely breath. Yes, it was bad, but Daddy got a taste of his own medicine and it was hilarious. I told Mason that I am a woman and he yelled, "WHY?!" and threw his hands in the air.
After that, there was a discussion about girl, boy, man, woman and one about not calling names, oh and even one about respecting Daddy. After bed time, we laughed again and reminded each other that we both need to watch our mouths a little better.

2 comments:

RauchHaus said...

I'm just really not sure how you guys can share a house with him... He's clearly too smart and too funny for his own good :-) Great story!

Megan said...

I'm not sure either... it's an adventure to say the least!