Monday, July 23, 2007

Food, Folks And Not So Much Fun



Let me start by saying that I have no idea why Mason was kissing the Grimace chair. But it was funny, so I took a picture. This morning the playgroup met at McDonald's so the kiddos could play indoors and beat the heat. It was a great idea for the first 10 minutes. There wasn't much that Mason could do. It was all tubes to crawl through that were suspended high in the air, nothing for smaller kids. Mason made an honest attempt to keep up with the older kids from our group, but got stuck half way up and began calling (I mean whining and crying) for Momma. So, I grabbed the camera and told the others, who were all relieved it wasn't their kids, that if I had to go up there, I was at least getting a picture of him in the tube. I crawled up and got my picture and my soggy baby. Things were going pretty well though. Mason munched on a fruit and yogurt parfait while I chatted with the other Mommies. And then it happened. To our dismay, a rather large van pulled up and about 15 children spilled out of it. They ran in like a tornado accompanied by one woman, who didn't say a word the whole time. She just sat in her corner as the children ran wild, climbing up slides and knocking our much smaller children out of their way. My initial thought was, I bet she's a polygamist from up in the hills. I wonder what kind of bet she lost with her sister wives? For surely she wouldn't attempt this by choice.
As usual, my brash, first impression was wrong. One of our Mommies let this lady have it after her baby was pummeled, and we found out that they were an organization called city kids. And that explained why half of them had dingy, too big, tie-died shirts on and they all looked like street urchins. It was a crazy zoo and more and more car loads of kids were showing up by the minute. So, Mason and I got the heck out of dodge and made our way home before the ambulance had to be called.

No comments: