Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dirty Clothes On The Floor

I originally posted this last January as I was preparing for Josh's deployment which was scheduled for April. Now, as we again ready ourselves to send him off, I can't help but feel that this is definitely worth a re-post.

In the first few years of our marriage there were a few little things that bugged me. Everyday annoyances that were not worth fighting over, or even mentioning most days. But they were there; dirty clothes on the floor, a sink full of freshly shaven whiskers or the infamous toilet seat that was left up, again. While they weren't a huge deal, they were not appreciated. Then Josh deployed for six months and those little traces of him vanished. And while you may think it was a nice break to have the house stay clean, it just meant the house was empty. A constant reminder that he was gone. The first time I saw his crumpled, dirty clothes on the floor after he returned, I couldn't help but smile. He was home. To this day, I still smile when I see clothes on the floor, whiskers in the sink or a toilet seat that was left up. It brings a warm, fuzzy feeling that only a small group of women can understand. As I begin to prepare myself for Josh's next deployment in October, I am cherishing all the little things that can be taken for granted or even found annoying... like dirty clothes on the floor.

No comments: